What is National Pet Day?
As the name suggests, people who have pets celebrate National Pet Day to celebrate the companionship of their pets. They want to show love and dedication to their pets on this day.
And at the same time, they want to raise awareness about shelterless pets worldwide. Different organizations encourage people to adopt them as pets by informing them about their mental well-being.
National Pet Day Quick Overview
- Time/Date: April 11
- Category: Animal
- Where It’s Marked? The USA.
- Why It’s Marked? To celebrate your animal companion.
History of National Pet Day
People have had cats, dogs, and other domestic animals as their pets for a very long time. But Collen Paige was the first human being to think of dedicating a day to these precious creatures.
Collen was an animal welfare advocate.
In 2006, she proposed to have a pet day so that we could be grateful for the happy life we could have for our pets for at least a day.
She tried to convince people to adopt pets. She felt more pets were waiting at the shelter. The holiday motto became, “Don’t shop! Adopt!
Collen has also found seven more holidays and worked hard to popularize them worldwide. One of them is National Walk Your Dog Week. And by the name of it, you can realize that this can be a fantastic way to initiate the habit of walking your dog if you are super lazy!
What animals can be kept as a pet?
National Pet day is also a reminder of the type of animals that can be kept as pets. According to the Wildlife Safety act of your country or the area you live in, you need to find out first that you are not adopting an endangered species.
Well, you can pet the animals listed below:
- Reptiles (not all)
- Birds (not all)
Let’s find out how to celebrate a fantastic day with your pet.
How to Celebrate National Pet Day
It can be the most exciting day for both of you. You must have noticed how excited they can be to have you back home from outside! Imagine a whole day dedicated to your pet. All you will feel is the warmth in your heart, won't it?
On this National Pet Day, treat your rabbit with a carrot, buy a toy for your hyperactive dog, spoil your cat by pampering, hug your hedgehog, or watch FRIENDS with your duck. There are so many things to do.
And here are some more for you to spend the day. And read on, even if you do not have a pet but wish to have one.
- Give your pet his favorite treat
- Do their favorite activity with them -play or go for a walk
- Buy or make a customized gift for your pet and you. You can have a unique collar made for your pet or a new sleeping place. And you can personalize a wristband or accessories with your pet's name.
- Upload a pet positivity status with a photo of your pet. Add the hashtag #NationalPetDay
- Throw a party with other pet parents,
- Donate food, money, and toys to the shelters if you cannot adopt one.
- Volunteer to care for stray dogs or cats with food.
Countries that Observe National Pet Day
People in the United States of America started to observe National Pet Day. After a few years, pet owners in Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Scotland, Australia, Spain, and many other countries have started to observe this day enthusiastically.
There are separate holidays for pets in different countries. Check them out.
- Japan celebrates Cat Day,
- Thailand celebrates National Elephant Day
- Itlay celebrates Hedgehog Day
- The people of Poland celebrate a holiday to help the forest animals.
Interesting Facts about National Pet Day
Did you know your cat can remember anything for only 16 hours? No? Then there might be so many other exciting things you don't know about your pet.
So, here they are:
- Around 22% of Americans prefer to be involved in a romantic relationship with a person who treats their pet accordingly.
- Dogs are the most popular pet in the world. In the UK, 24% of the population owns a pet dog.
- In only the USA, people have 80 million pet dogs and 86 million pet cats.
- If you have a bunch of cats in your home, they will be called Clowder.
- Stroking pets can help you relax and calm your mind.
- Cats meow to communicate with their owner, while kittens do that to share with other kittens.
- Puppies usually cannot hear anything when they are born. However, their hearing gets better as they age.
- Every year, 6.5 million pets take shelter in American animal shelters.
- Rabbit's teeth keep growing since their birth.
Unique National Pet Day Celebration Ideas
Having pets can save stray animals, and at the same time, you can have improved mental and physical conditions. The aim is to add comfort, companionship, and warmth you lack in your lonely life.
So, you need some unique ideas to celebrate this special day. Continue reading to learn more about extra activities you can perform on this National Pet day.
1. Do some research
Research more about animal care and adoption. There is no end to gathering knowledge on how your pet can be more comfortable living with you. Also, look for animal hospitals around you if you need help with any animal disease.
2. Help local organizations
Both government and non-profit organizations work in every state to rescue stray dogs and cats. They can use an extra pair of hands.
3. Find a new home
In this digital era, being on social media can do more than just keeping contact with people. You can post photos of the animals at the shelter and help people find their pets and the pets living in the shelter's new homes.
4. Spread pet love
You can tell your children about the importance of having pets. This way, they can build strong bonding with pets early on. You can read books about pet love or facts about your favorite pet.
5. Health benefits of having a pet
You can tell your friends about the health benefits of having a pet. Inform them that they can have lower blood pressure and cholesterol as pets need to go for a walk once in a while. Moreover, improving mental health conditions, such as reducing anxiety and depression, is possible while having a pet.
6. Best friend for introverted people
Not all people are the same. Some people prefer to live alone and away from any social activity. But that may trigger depression. If you have a friend living alone, his best gift can be a pet on this National Pet Day.
National Pet Day Quotes
Are you wondering how to wish other pet parents on this day? Read on to have some great quotes to share.
“You don't know the importance of having a pet until and unless you have one in your home.”
“A pet is the only thing in this world that loves you more than you love yourself. You are truly blessed if you have a pet in your life.”
“Having a pet helps you have someone in your life who is always going to lobe you beyond all the conditions and situations.”
“Animals are agreeable friends- they ask no questions; they pass no criticism.”- George Eliot
I would like to see anyone, prophet, king, or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing simultaneously."
“Animals are sentient, intelligent, perceptive, funny, and entertaining. We owe them a duty of care as we do to children.” - Michael Morpurgo
“Time spent with cats is never wasted.”- Sigmund Freud
“In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.” - Terry Pratchett
1. How do you wish National pet day?
Wish Happy National Pet Day to other pet owners, and you will be done.
2. What do you post on national pet day?
You can post your pet’s photo and say, I’ll love you fur-ever.
3. Why do we celebrate national pet day?
We celebrate National Pet Day to raise awareness about adopting pets and spread the benefits of having a pet in anyone's life.
National Pet Day Observances
|2021||Sunday||11 April||National Pet Day|
|2022||Monday||11 April||National Pet Day|
|2023||Tuesday||11 April||National Pet Day|
|2024||Thursday||11 April||National Pet Day|
|2025||Friday||11 April||National Pet Day|
|2026||Saturday||11 April||National Pet Day|
We constantly update the dates of holidays that keep changing every year. However, while we revise and change some dates to be accurate, if you find any errors, kindly inform us . That will mean a lot to us.